Travel to India without the need for the Hep A & B vaccines via my blog.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'll take unpasteurised beer, but pass on the unpasteurised milk!

Saturday one of my neighbors came over with a surprise.  If you look closely at the beverages below you will see Chimay Red and Hoegaarden, two of my favorite Belgian brews!




I was surprised to find that when I took this snap of the delicious Belgian trappist that the infamous purple shirt was in the background.  While in Antwerp last fall I left the Crowne Plaza to walk across the lot to a petrol station that was next door, wearing this very shirt.  While waiting in the checkout line a group of guys began speaking in Flemish and tugging at this shirt.  Things got a little heated and I was beginning to think about how I would explain to Roger that he had to bail me out of a Belgian jail!  Eventually the cashier asked the guys to leave and things settled down.

Initially I was puzzled as I had believed Europe was far more progressive when it came to....men wearing purple shirts and I was right.  It turned out that there are two local soccer clubs in Antwerp and apparently these guy's favorite team, Royal Antwerp, had just been beaten by their rival; the Germinal Beerschot which have PURPLE team colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment